Tuesday, July 17, 2007


I took this picture a couple years back, before Grandma Anne moved into the nursing home.

I gave her a call today.

Me: I hear you have a boyfriend.
Grandma: Who told you that?
Me: Uh... I don't remember.
Grandma: Well, he comes by three times a day and likes to tell people that I'm his girlfriend.
Me: Three times a day. He must really like you.
Grandma: I think it's too much. But if it makes him happy...

Grandma and this man, Walter, dated briefly more than fifty years ago before she married my Grandpa Ralph.

Grandma: I really don't remember too much about it. But he does.
Me: Sometimes it's nice to have a little company. Nothing wrong with that.
Grandma: He's nice. He's a Catholic and gives me the blessing every night.
Me: What does that mean?
Grandma: He's a deacon.
Me: Oh.
Grandma: Who'd of thought? At my age.

Supposedly Grandpa Paul has started seeing someone, himself. Maybe seeing someone isn't the right expression. He's begun going out to lunch with a woman named Lou Ann.

Grandma: It's probably nice for him to have someone to talk to.


Comments:
Mom: [via e-mail] Julie and I went with the boys to see Grandma Ann recently. While we were there, she mentioned that Walter, I think that's his name, comes in to visit her every day. He happened to come to visit while we were there. He uses a walker and grandma told him to sit down on the couch. He seems like a very nice, with-it man who has 8 kids. When we left, it is the only time that I can ever remember that grandma didn't want to walk to the door with us!?!?! She didn't even offer this time. She just kept smiling and talking to Walter or whatever his name is!
 
My Grandfather recently broke up with his girlfriend. I think they'd been "together" for over a year. When I was back in town for my sister's baby shower I asked him what he was looking for in a new lady friend. His qualifications, "She has to be walking under her own power and breathing without an oxygen tank." Pretty much the same standards I had looking for a girl in high school if you add "She would talk to me."
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?