Saturday, July 21, 2007


Tom and Steph's son, Sam (Newborn), was born last weekend.

Tom: [via e-mail] A week ago, Steph was trying cases in front of
judges downtown and I was writing advertising copy. Today Steph's
changing diapers and watching The Today Show, and I'm buying nursing
bras and asking if they have Vaseline is a squeeze tube rather than a
jar, because who has time to dip Vaseline out of a jar? Life changes
fast.

Today I went to see the new family in person. The lights were dimmed. Soft music was playing. Everyone smiled and watched the baby sleep.

Tom: This is what we do now.
Me: This might be the most relaxing space I've been in in months.

Maybe I caught them at a good moment, but Tom and Steph seemed very relaxed and in control.

Tom: When we first came home from the hospital, we had Sam in his carrier, and we set it down on the kitchen island. We stood there staring at him, and then we just both started bawling. Tears streaming down our faces. "What are we supposed to do now?" [laughing] The next three days we were just bawling on and off all the time. "My son! This is my SON!"


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?