Wednesday, June 13, 2007


Amanda needed a phone number from me, and after giving it to her I jokingly added, "You should call my mother, too."

Amanda replied, "Give me her number and I will."

I did and she did. What I thought would be a quick and funny phone call turned into a very long conversation. Amanda asked questions like, "How do you feel about having a son in the arts," and, "Don't you think it's time he settled down and got married?"

I never heard Mom's half of the conversation, but, at one point, while nodding, listening to my mom answer, Amanda looked at me and mouthed, "She really loves you."

Later in the day I got an email from Mom. "Hope I didn't embarrass you too much by anything I might have said to Amanda. It's awful nice to hear how talented you are from your boss. I smiled all the way home from Toledo."

In the postscript she wrote, "Being famous isn't the most important thing. . . being happy is much more important. . . I don't know if Amanda would agree. We are very proud of you and happy that you really like your job."


Comments:
Your mom is wrong - being famous is the ONLY important thing. I hate to say it, but you should stop talking to her.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?