Saturday, June 09, 2007


Last night, before our Diplomat Motel show, Meador told us that today he's giving a speech at the graduation ceremony at the school where he teaches.

Meador: I'm a little underprepared, so I'm nervous.
Me: Are you opening with a joke?
Meador: I've got a couple ideas. I'm sure it'll be hot in the auditorium so I might start with, "I came in here earlier this morning and it was pretty cold, so I went and cranked up the boiler. You're welcome."

As I've mentioned before, this is Meador's last year teaching. He's been accepted to nursing school.

Me: How many years have you taught?
Meador: Four years.
Me: So the length of a high school education.
Meador: Yep. I'm graduating too.
Me: Do you think you'll get choked up?
Meador: I cry at all rites of passage.


Comments:
An e-mail from Meador:

"Saturday's Task: Commencement speech
Potential for disaster: High
Verdict: I fucking killed"
 
Me: It went well?
Meador: I got a standing ovation.
Me: Did you do the joke.
Meador: I did. It killed.
Martin: Did you cry?
Meador: I got choked up immediately. Literally, during the first sentence. I had to turn around for a second. Then I turned back around and said, "This is ridiculous."
 
Ever notice how Meador excels at events that we can't attend?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?