Thursday, April 05, 2007


I met with a tax accountant yesterday.

He came recommended from my friend, Shad. I can't really do my regular occupation-in-parentheses bit with Shad, because he works about a dozen different jobs. (Performer/Teacher/Promotional Worker/Office Administrator/Maybach Chauffer) So, Shad's taxes are complicated, and I figured he'd know a good accountant.

I called the guy Shad recommended and he had me meet him over lunch in front of the LEGO store downtown. This seemed a little... odd, and gave me pause, but I went, and he seems to know what he's doing.

Accountant: One question is... your job description. You're a writer, but also you're a performer. Are you a writer who performs on the side? Your 1099s and W2s seem to say that. But talking to you, hearing about your jobs, I'm getting the picture that they're all more... connected.

It seems that a lot of what you can deduct depends on what the government perceives as your career or a career you're pursing. And after a certain number of years of not making enough money at something... you're not legitimately pursing that career anymore. In that way the government is like a parent who wishes you would be a little more realistic with your life.


Comments:
Same thing, except I couldn't get the Tax Guy to understand that connection. He told me you have three to five years to prove yourself as an actor if you decide to file as one. I almost took it as a challenge and thought, "Fine, I will make it in three years, you'll see!" Then I ran upstairs, slammed my bedroom door in a huff, and journaled about how the Tax Guy just didn't GET ME.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?