Sunday, April 15, 2007


Allie's volleyball team placed 4th out of 22 in the tournament. It was fun to see her play, something I haven't seen in years.

I asked her what a regular day as a college volleyball player is like.

Allie: 8 to 9:30, weights. 9:30 to 11, class. 11 to 12, rehab or treatment. You're always hurting somewhere. [Allie was wearing a back brace during the tournament, and apparently wears it most of the time when she's not playing too, something I find a little unsettling] 12 to 1, lunch. 1 to 1:30, watch game film with coaches. 1:30 to 3, class. 3 to 6:45, practice. 7 to 8, dinner/nutritionist meeting. 8 to 9, tutoring. 9 to 11:30, homework. Maybe watch a TV show if you're lucky. 12, bed.

The whole thing is hard for me to wrap my mind around, so different from my own college experience.

Allie: It's the best and worst thing in my life all at the same time. It kind of consumes you. It's the way I define myself and has been for a long time, now. I'm not quite sure what will happen when I'm done. Who I will be, I guess.

She's just finishing up her sophomore year.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?