Tuesday, January 30, 2007


I have a phone at my desk at work but it's not plugged in. I use my cell phone. I can't remember the last time I used a land line.

I was working on a project a while back that involved setting up a fake customer service phone line. Some of the paths callers could go down ended with the operator getting angry and hanging up. The angry hang-up is one of my favorite classic comedy bits. Hang up. Dial tone. It makes me laugh.

But we had to add the dial tone ourselves. People would be calling on cell phones, and the abrupt hang up just isn't as funny without the dial tone. So the audio actually included a fake hang up followed by a dial tone sound, and then it would really hang up on you.

The abrupt hang-up comedy bit is fast becoming obsolete. I think that's too bad.

Right? [Click. Dial tone.] Hello? Hello?


Comments:
My sister and I use that constantly in our phone conversations. We refer to it as the "click-boooooo."
 
I work in customer service and that was often something we wanted to do, but never did. "Mr. Customer, I want to do a line test with you. Let me know if you hear a dial tone."
 
I never thought about the tone being lacking in cell phone usage before. It is sad that we get to hear it less and less. Perhaps cell phone companies should add it to the end of calls - for that old timey feel. I'm sure some would pay for it. It would also help with dropped calls because then when the sounds came on you would know definitively that the call was dropped. And end those annoying dropped call commercials.
 
Tracy Morgan did a "click, dial tone" bit on "30 Rock" this week.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?