Sunday, January 07, 2007


Job #4: Distribution Warehouse

I spent a summer loading boxes onto trucks to be sent to various Kohls department stores in the area. I stood by a conveyor belt and waited for boxes to come down. Most of my days were spent standing around doing nothing.

I spent most of that summer, standing there, thinking about two things: what CDs I should order from BMG Music Service and if there was any way that the show Twin Peaks could return, despite the fact that the prequel movie had failed miserably at the box office.

[When I was in Los Angeles over Thanksgiving, I was surprised to learn that Natasha had worked as a stand-in for many of the young women on the set of the second season of Twin Peaks (as well as 'C.H.U.D. 2: Bud the Chud'). She asked me if I had any questions about it. (who was nice, who was mean), and I was shocked to realize that I didn't.]

TV-47 had shut down by then and many of the people who had worked there now worked at the Kohl's Distribution Center. It was sad to look over and see, a few conveyor belts away, the slightly sophisticated old man that had hosted Hometown, Ohio's morning show, now loading trucks like me. I remember that no matter where he was, or what he was talking about, he always sounded like he was hosting a talk show.

Ex-Morning Show Host: Well, Arnie, I'm going to... load these boxes onto the truck, and after that...since it's a... slow day... I'm going to... go to the bathroom.... and play some pocket pool... until they come up with something for us to do. I'll be... right back.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?