Monday, January 22, 2007


Over the holidays I was standing in a Customer Service line at Best Buy when the man behind me started talking to me.

Man: 6'3''?
Me: Uh... oh, 6'4''.
Man: 6'4''. Christopher Reeves was 6'4''. So is Brandon Routh.
Me: The new Superman?
Man: Yes. They were both 6'4''.
Me: Well, I guess I don't mind being Superman size.
Man: Of course, you'd be short in the NBA. Your height just wouldn't cut it there.
Me: Sure. True.
Man: Frank Sinatra was an uncommonly skinny man. They called him 'the Straw.' Now, you may be asking yourself why I mention this and I'll tell you. Time gets us all. [patting his stomach] Eventually Sinatra became quite thick.

I once read in the book 'Blink' that the majority of American CEOs are tall. About a third are 6'2'' or taller. Supposedly tall people get better jobs and make more money. Studies have shown that each extra inch of height is worth an extra $789 a year in salary.

There are, of course, downsides to being tall. It's hard to get pants that fit, for instance, especially jeans. And as time continues to "get me" my height/gut combination means that most stores don't carry my size. I used to be right on the edge, but I ate my way over it, and now I have to order everything on-line. Even then the selection is limited. I ordered what I thought were some dark jeans (dark is good right?) and ended up with black jeans (black is bad, right?).

Hansen: Take them back. You're not Italian and you don't drive a Trans Am.

Which is all by way of saying that I joined a gym today. There's one right by work. It's a little expensive, but hopefully I can use some of the money my height makes to slow the expansion of my width.


Comments:
For those of you keeping score, here are my measurements from my last blog.

Following the Breakup

Keep in mind that even at the time this was outdated.
 
This reads like a playboy centerfold.

Turn ons? Turn offs? Have you ever dated Burt Reynolds?
 
Tell that man it was people like him that gave Spud Webb his drive and determination to make it in the NBA. I assume you exchanged phone numbers and stayed in touch with that man.

If this posted twice I meant it twice as much.
 
I am italian and still don't wear black jeans. Anymore at least.

-Gianni
 
I feel your pain. I'm 30/34. That size in pants does not exist.

Black jeans are ok. Make sure the seams are a different color than black and you'll be ok.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?