Saturday, December 09, 2006


Shelly (Second City Las Vegas Performer), a member of Otis, is back in town, visiting from Las Vegas, where she's lived the last few months.

Shelly: Have you ever been to Vegas?
Someone Else: I was there for a day, once.
Shelly: Yeah. That's the right amount of time. I live there now. I'm there for a year.
Me: Do you gamble?
Shelly: No, I don't. But I do take risks.

Last year, I quoted a voicemail I received from Shelly, in my blog (that blog was about a break-up). I had accidentally left my phone at home. I e-mailed friends and asked them to leave me messages throughout the day.

Shelly's Voicemail: Shit, you're not there. Ah man, I had some really important questions for you. If you get this before 5, call me back, otherwise I'll just probably Google it. One, does everything in the world happen for a reason? I just didn't know. And two... oh, this I actually did want to know... do you think that not talking to people is a healthy thing? Do you think that it actually works out? 'Cause I don't think that, you know, you stop loving people, you just get over relationships. Isn't that just time? Or does not talking help? I think that's kind of asinine. But maybe it's healthy. Again, I'll probably ask somebody else if I don't hear from you by 5.

Gianni (Patent Attorney), who has been dating Shelly long-distance from Chicago, recently read this entry in my old blog.

Gianni: I immediately called her voicemail. I read her voicemail [to you] back into her voicemail. It took her a while, but she figured out that it was her own words, but couldn't place them or figure out how I had gotten a hold of them. She spent a few paranoid hours wondering if someone was secretly recording all of her thoughts. Basically, she said it was a total "mindfuck."


Comments:
You would be amazed how timeless her "intentionally not talking to someone you love is asinine" philosophy is. You could leave that message on someone's phone once a year and it would never not be applicable.

-Gianni
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?