Friday, November 17, 2006


Sarah's in town again, this time for her grandparents' 50th wedding anniversary. Here her family gathers to have pictures taken. It's a horrible picture in a lot of ways (too much flash, for one), but I think it accurately captures the family photo experience.

Photographer: Okay, let's take a couple without the beer bottle in the background.

The dinner itself was very nice, and included a number of speeches. Here are some highlights.

Sarah's Grandfather: I said to my wife, you should wear that gold dress of yours, since it's our golden anniversary. She said, "I'm wearing red. Blood... sweat... and tears."

Sarah's Grandmother: I'm happy that there are many people here tonight who were at our wedding 50 years ago. Of course, there are many people who are not here, because they are in heaven... we hope.

Sarah's Uncle: I asked Mom how she knew Dad was the one and she said, "Because I knew he would never leave me."

Another of Sarah's Uncles: Here's a poem my Uncle Bill read at my wedding, and I thought I'd read it here tonight. "Love each other/ Never give up on each other/ Have children/ They are the glue that will keep you together." [folds paper up and puts it back in pocket] Uncle Bill was a bachelor...

Sarah: The next morning, everyone realized that Grandpa had told every child that had walked through the room that night that they were his favorite.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?