Saturday, October 14, 2006


Job #6: Cutco

I spent about a month in college trying to sell Cutco knives. I was trained in a make-shift office with a few generic inspirational posters on the walls. It was the kind of office that could have been dismantled and disappear in an hour's time, like a traveling circus.

To this day I still remember a lot of the sales catchphrases I was required to memorize. "The patented 'Double-D' blade cuts with a back and forth motion, not with pressure." "A lot of knives only have partial tangs, Cutco knives have full tangs." "I'm sure you've probably heard of Craftsman tools and their 'Lifetime Guarantee.' What could be better than a 'Lifetime Guarantee'? How about a 'Forever Guarantee'?"

The knives themselves were incredibly sharp and kind of frightening. During our training we had to break up into pairs and practice cutting things with the knives. My practice partner, a sad, lumpy man with thick thick glasses, slipped and cut a long deep gash into his hand. Our Cutco Team Leader immediately whisked him out of the room.

"Well, it's a good thing he cut himself with a Cutco knife," the Team Leader said. "At least we know it's a clean cut."


Comments:
I still remember some of those memorized "catch-phrases" from my time in the military. (Talk about traveling circus (: ). Like "buffer, barrel, stock, receiver, op-rod,cover housing, and feed tray." It's the nomenclature for an M-60, and we had to be able to recite it on command to higher-ups who probably wouldn't have known if we had gotten it wrong. I could have probably added "lugnut" or "a cup of sugar" in there and they wouldn't have noticed. I don't have much use for it nowadays, of course, but there it is anyway, tucked away in my mind's landscape.

Nobody I knew ever accidentally shot themselves in training,though.

Nice blog.
 
So, yeah... my dear friend Colleen (Doyle) pointed me to your earlier blog, so here I am reading your current blog instead of editing a documentary for my uncle. Thanks a lot.

I sold Cutco for a summer during my undergrad. One time I went to the house of this woman who was very stoned and with child, and she proceeded to try and seduce me while I tried (desperately) to sell her knives. Needless to say, she bought no knives.

Blah, blah, blah...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?