Monday, September 25, 2006


Over a month ago, when the old project was finishing and none of us were sure if we'd be back, Chris planned a trip for himself to Arizona, to go out into the desert alone for two weeks to battle the elements and work through some things.

At his birthday party people brought him survival kits and protective tarps. I didn't give him anything. It actually hadn't occurred to me to bring a gift (I'm a bad friend). I told him not to try to camp in the desert by himself for two weeks because he'd probably die.

A day and a half after he went out into the desert I got this text message from him: "Back already. couldn't find water. thought I would die. very ill feeling right now."

Chris is back in the office now, back at work.

Allard: How was your walkabout?
Me: It was more of a walk in and walk out, right?
Chris: It was harder than I thought it would be. I couldn't find water. The protein bars I brought were inedible when warm. I feel like I would have lasted a little longer if my girlfriend, H, hadn't called and broken up with me over the phone the night before I went out into the desert. I was in a bad place, emotionally. There was a lot of screaming into the desert.
Me: What did you scream?
Chris: "Why don't you love me?" "Why do I still love you?" "H____." "H____." "H____." Stuff like that.
Me: Well, I'm glad you're not dead.
Chris: I'm doing much better.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?