Tuesday, September 19, 2006


I brought the 'School Years' book back to Chicago with me. Each grade has a "WHEN I GROW UP I WANT TO BE -" section, with a fairly limited selection of boxes to check off. I've never wanted to be a fireman or even an astronaut. Certainly not a soldier. I never wanted to be any of the choices given.

As an adult I did spend some time as a school teacher and briefly as something akin to a secretary, even though both of those choices are on the not-so-subtly female half of the checklist.

Every year the thing that I wanted to be when I grow up had to be written onto the blank line provided by the 'School Years' designer on the off chance a child didn't want to be a cowboy or an airline hostess.

For my kindergarten "WHEN I GROW UP," Mom wrote in, "'Producer of Funny Shows in Hollywood'." It's in quotation marks which I hope were not intended as ironic commentary.

My handwriting has not improved much since kindergarten.


Comments:
That is really cute but...

a. I can't believe you knew what a producer was in kindergarten and

b. you're an idea man not a producer, you should have known that by then.
 
I like how there's an option to be a "mother," but not one for "father." Apparently, no one wants to be a father.

Just like in society. *sigh*
 
Wones,

Call me. I'm sorry about everything.

All my love...
 
Wait, did your mother write that in recently or when you were in kindergarten? And was she trying to cover for you really wanting to be an airline hostess, a fact that you have been trying to deny all along?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?