Wednesday, September 06, 2006


Whenever I'm in Ohio I try to visit Grandma Anne (Farm Widow) at the nursing home. She's always happy to see me, but small talk can be difficult. All roads lead back to "I hate this place." There's a nurse that she particularly dislikes. Twice, while talking about this nurse, Grandma said, "I wanted to kick her in her dirty ass."

At one point, out of nowhere, she said, "So, one of these days you're going to be a movie star."

"No," I replied. "I don't think so."

"I have a drawer full of your writing from when you were little. I'm going to hold on to that stuff. Someday it'll really be worth something."

She asked me about work, what I'm doing now.

Me: Oh, well, I was working on a project writing scripts for games. Educational software. I was writing stuff helping kids improve their reading skills.
Grandma: I can't wait until I open a newspaper and see the headline, "Arnie _______ Gave So Much To Education."


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?